SLS: Student Leadership in Sustainability has been adapted, in collaboration with Vancouver Leaning Network (VLN), to be a self-sufficient online program for distance educators and learners. Since May 2012, VLN has integrated each module of SLS for their Planning 10 course serving over 700 students. SLS Distance has received outstanding reviews from both teachers and students.
Compared to the ‘blended’ classroom curriculum, on-line students are guided through a shorter multi-media introduction to one of the Sustainable Value Modules (Health, Conscious Consumption, Conservation, Connection and Justice). Then each student chooses an Action Pack that focuses on a specific topic within that module. The Action Pack leads the student through a learning process consisting of:
- Researching relevant videos and website and answering some factual questions
- Doing an experiential activity to gain perspective on how they are connected to this global and local issue
- Choosing an action to support positive change within that issue
- Share their learning with other students using an online forum hosted by either the distance learning provider or Be The Change
SLS Online engages students in very topical, interesting and relevant content, and invites them to interact with the material in a deep way, outside of the classroom.
SLS Online has been called “the best part of Planning 10” from VLN participants and can simultaneous excitement and deep insight to your course.
Click Here to download a sample Action Pack from the Distance Curriculum (Value Conscious Consumption, Action Pack #1 Transportation)
""I LOVED it! Be the Change helped me realize [more about] the world around me, and what we can do to help… It really interested! It made me realize that the world is not what it seems, and we need to take action… fast!"
"I've received overwhelmingly positive response from my Planning 10 students on how the SLS values have changed their views on the world around them… this generation wants to take charge and make things happen."
- Brenda Kvist, Pl 10, Vancouver Learning Network