SLS Module - Conservation

I value the limited gifts and diverse life forms of the natural world and will not waste or destroy them thoughtlessly.

Human activity is putting such a strain on the natural functions of Earth that the ability of the planet’s ecosystem to sustain future generations can no longer be taken for granted.”

That’s the call from our esteemed scientists, and the human activity they’re talking about is ours. With opened eyes and understanding, we can choose to be the generation that restores the creative diversity of our planet, rather than destroy it. With commitment and creativity, we can work together to conserve Earth's remaining natural resources and allow our planet to regenerate abundance for future generations. 

Here are the facts: The world's old growth forests are the lungs of the planet and home to many endangered species and indigenous peoples. Over 75% have been logged or degraded. What about our water? 97.5% of the earth's water is saltwater; if the world's water fit into a bucket, only one teaspoonful would be drinkable. Of the remaining 2.5%, only 1% is accessible for use. Our actions are seriously threatening the sanitation and availability of the 1% left for all species to share.

Who are the 5% of the population that are using 30% of the world’s resources and creating 30% of the world’s waste? (Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives). We are. Oil and coal combustion are the major contributors of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, thereby contributing to probable global warming. Climate change is already having a large impact on food production and processes vital to a productive environment. The time to take action is now, so we can be part of a more balanced world tomorrow.

 

CONSERVATION Student Action Packs:

  1. Transportation
  2. Paper Cuts
  3. Bright Energy
  4. Saving Water 
  5. Being Chill & Heating Up
  6. Ocean Wise
  7. All That Glitters   
  8. Oil