What do I get as a member? An SLS membership offers teachers online access to five independent, interchangeable modules in three versions: Blended (in-class English), Distance (independent study), and French. Each module focuses on developing personal values for a sustainable worldview and lifestyle.
Each module contains five to eight student inquiry & project-based 'Action Packs' that focus on specific sustainability topics, providing research links and experiential activities to develop student's core competencies in critical and creative thinking, communication, inquiry, and personal and social responsibility.
SLS also has packages that build off the 5 values to teach Climate Change, understand our larger Climate System, facilitate successful school projects (Innovation), and explore green careers.
As a member you also have access to our ‘Waste Watchers’ toolkits and are the first to hear about any workshop, assembly, youth empowerment, or professional development opportunities.
Look out for more offerings over the summer and year as they become available – as they are included too!
Please follow these simple steps to register for the SLS program.
1. CHOOSE YOUR MEMBERSHIP
Teacher Membership: We are currently offering an SLS Teacher membership for $100 for the 2018-19 school year. This membership grants a single teacher full access to all materials for an unlimited number of students and classrooms.
School Membership: A teacher or school administrator can sign up for a full-school SLS membership, which gives all teachers at their school access to the SLS resources for $200 for the 2018-19 year!
Teacher Champion Package: Both teacher and school memberships are offered in a 3-year format at a reduced rate based on certain eligibility and requirements. In this package, an SLS Teacher Membership is $200 for 3 years, and a School Membership is $400 for 3 years. To learn more about our Teacher champion package please click here.
*Pay as you can – We are a mission-driven charitable organization and providing equal access to resources is important to us. If the costs stated above are a barrier to you or your school, please give us a call to discuss what is reasonable for your class or situation. Alternatively, for those with extra resources or space in your budgets, we invite you to pay as you value these resources. The prices above are highly subsidized and we have to be creative on how to update, maintain and run our programs every year, so any contribution is greatly appreciated.
2. COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS (For teacher membership and school membership ONLY. If you are interested in the Teacher Champion package please click here)
- Register below and complete the online form. If you have any questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BTCEA will follow up with you after sending you an invoice. You can mail a cheque in or use our online PayPal system.
- Once you have completed the application form and we have invoiced you, BTCEA will send you the necessary access information to log into our website and access the full suite of SLS materials (for your selected version).
- We can sign you and other teachers up at your school within three days of applying (if full school package).
Thank you for considering joining our community of teacher's empowering a thriving, just, and sustainable school culture. We hope these tools support you in your teaching and yours and your student exploration of a fostering a more globally sustainable future.
"Be the Change is providing resources for what educators want to teach and students want to learn, empowering anyone to make it happen."
- Denise North, Killarney Secondary
"SLS is compelling, current and prompts students to apply what they've learned to their lives…"
- Norman Kaethler, Science, St. George's
"I've received overwhelmingly positive response from my Planning 10 students on how the SLS values have changed their views on the world around them… this generation wants to take charge and make things happen."
- Brenda Kvist, Pl 10, Vancouver Learning Network