BTCEA supports teachers in learning how best to utilize this large body of curriculum resources and finding different ways of approaching and delivering education. Our program design has always been two-fold; starting with the values-based curriculum we believe in, and supporting teachers in using these materials in a way that works for their specific courses and students. Our small team acknowledges how hard teachers work, with little support and resources, and how important the work you do is. We aim to make your job easier and increase the positive impact and outcomes of what you do.
“What we really appreciated were the mountains of resources, hands-on support and willingness to go above and beyond to make a change in our school and the lives our students." - Jacqueline Symons, French Teacher, John Oliver Secondary School
What does our support look like?
- We offer Professional development workshops at Provincial and District Pro-D days, along with our own Virtual Pro-D workshops focusing on SLS’s pedagogies and design, understanding the scope of SLS, and how to best integrate it into your courses.
- We are in the process of mapping how SLS fits the new curriculum’s Big Ideas, Competencies, and Content for various courses, directing you to the materials that will support your course objectives.
- Last year we created the Teachers’ Guide to SLS that explains the program materials.
- We also have a Teachers Talk blog that we encourage teachers to reach out to each other to share resources and support each other. From time to time we also bring teachers together to share practices and be part of the evaluation and augmentation process.
- Ideally we would like to create a community of practice with this work. Let us know if you are interested in participating as this community and concept develops more.
We will do our best to support you in your curriculum needs; we have a very small team taking on diverse projects including the evolution of our curriculum materials and services, while working to sustain ourselves to support meaningful public education, so thank you for all of your contributions and dedication making this possible as well!