Today marks our 17th year of bringing transformative, eco-social learning to youth and community members across BC. Thank you for being here with us, on a shared journey of realizing education truly transformative and regenerative for people, communities, ecology and climate!
As the Fall season sets in, it offers us an opportunity to reflect on how the seasonal rhythms of our Earth show their essence in the rhythms of our own lives. For many, the Fall time of year is for new beginnings - another school year, another chapter. In this sense, it may feel more closely like Spring, as we grow new shoots, embrace new opportunity, new potential, new possibility and begin to pick up momentum. We can experience the essences of seasons and cycles in our day, our week, our month, a lifetime.
In the seasonal cycle, Fall is a time for harvest after a long summer season of mature growth. In our lives, times of Fall are when we celebrate and harvest the gifts of our efforts, commitments and projects. Fall is when we begin to slow down into reflection, enjoy the fruits of our labour and to shed, digest and recycle what is not needed so we have the space and nutrients for our next Spring cycle.
Reporting on our impact
On our birthday, we would like to take a moment to share in our harvests and celebrations with you, from this last year of supporting teachers and students to be the change they want to see in the world.
We have recently completed three impact reports highlighting the success of recent Be the Change’s initiatives. Check out the summaries and read the full report below!
Clean Water Champions (2020-2022)
- Empowered over 3,253 students to take action on threats to freshwater through workshops, project mentorship and habitat clean-ups
- Student actions and projects diverted 133.5 tonnes of CO2, 578.8 kg of plastic waste and 4.97 million L of water conserved!
Student Leadership for Sustainable Development (2021-2022)
- Engaged over 10,862 students in learning resources and workshops about the Sustainable Development Goals
- Focused on six key goals, teaching students how to take action in their personal lives and communities: Good Health, Renewable Energy, Responsible Production & Consumption, Climate Action, Life Below Water, and Life on Land.
Youth for Climate Action (2020-2022)
- Supported over 130 youth in 11 youth teams to create climate action projects in their communities through hands-on mentorship, training workshops and guidebooks
- These projects engaged a total of 3096 community members, and based on our estimates, reduced between 52.3 – 67.3 tonnes of CO2!
Youth from Lord Byng and Eric Hamber Secondary Schools delivering a climate justice Professional Development workshop for teachers at Eric Hamber Secondary School.
This incredible impact was made possible by generous donors in our community! To help us keep up this momentum, please make a tax-deductible gift to Be the Change today!