YOUTH AND CLIMATE CHANGE
For youth today, no challenge is more urgent than Climate Change. This existential threat is creating despair and a sense of helplessness. Students in your school are calling on all of us to join their strike, demanding action on climate change.
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT YOUR STUDENTS?
You can provide an action-oriented education program that will help overcome the eco-anxiety facing young people today. Be The Change has just launched the CLIMATE ACTION UNIT that provides you with the resources to do just that.
Our youth want to learn how they can contribute to a just, sustainable future. They need and deserve some authentic eco-social education!
CLIMATE ACTION UNIT
The Climate Action Unit consists of 13 “Action Packs” and 3 different lesson plans with engaging student activities and videos. These learning resources are designed to:
- Inform students through in-depth research on global issues related to climate change
- Engage students with place-based activities to connect the global problems to local solutions
- Empower students to take meaningful actions in their homes, schools, and communities to address climate change.
The 13 engaging Action Packs in this Unit are:
"[SLC] has had a surprisingly big impact on me, reminding us of our word's problems so many have turned a blind eye to. I have started becoming more mindful of the items we waste and recycle in my house. Of course, I knew of this dilemma earlier, but it never quite sunk in that climate change is real, it is happening, and I can make a difference." -Delta Student
HOW MUCH DOES THE CLIMATE ACTION UNIT COST?
The 2018 IPCC report warned of only 11 years to address climate change. In response to this urgent call to action Be The Change is making the new CLIMATE ACTION UNIT and all Student Leadership for Change (SLC) programs FREE for BC educators and students.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS THE CLIMATE ACTION UNIT?
All you need to do is register for SLC and you will have access to the CLIMATE ACTION UNIT and all other SLC resources.
ABOUT SLC: Student Leadership for Change program
Taking a values-based, solutions-oriented approach, the SLC: Student Leadership for Change (SLC) program is constructed around a few essential values of a sustainable worldview. Student Action Packs within each module focus on specific examples of where we can shift our behaviours to support a sustainable future, allowing students to identify with an overarching value and develop an inclination to make sustainable choices in other parts of their life.
Be the Change Earth Alliance’s SLC PROGRAM takes a pedagogical approach that:
- Combats eco-anxiety and despair with empowering information and solution-oriented actions.
- Addresses climate injustice locally, regionally and globally
- Aligns strongly with the First People’s Principles of Learning and brings forth Indigenous voices and perspectives
- Helps students clarify their values and connect to their peers and to nature
- Features interactive, multi-media resources to engage students of diverse learning styles
- Features videos and blogs of other youth who have completed SLC Action Packs, reflecting on what they learned and their experience of taking Climate Action (coming soon!)
Join the movement! Bring your students empowering education on the most pressing social and ecological problems of our time.